Tuesday, February 14, 2017

The Dragon is flying --- again

Today was a beautiful breezy day. The direction was in from the ocean so a good direction for kite flying. I finally broke the Dragon out. This is my kite with the 20+' tail. I don't fly it often because I'm always fearful of losing it.

Last night at Captn Jacks for Jacks Bingo I met a young couple cruising on a 30 foot Pearson sailboat and listened to their adventure of sailing from Fernandina Beach to the Abacos a few days ago. Now that was an adventure but not recommended. Then they told me they were anchored off FireFly resort tonight and took their dinghy to Jacks and would go back in the dark. Eeeeck that is 2.5 miles in real dark sea of abaco water -- definitely not recommended. I cringed, Sunday just going 3 miles to Tahiti Beach at HIGH NOON made me anxious.

It got me thinking how in a rut and playing it safe I've become this year. I'm just fearful of taking adventure anymore. Say it is old age and I'm just a fuddy duddy but hey I can change. Time to breakout to my old adventuresome self and thus the Dragon came out today.

Ohhh it is a great flyer but I have to be careful to not let it fly above the sand dunes around the beach. When it does the wind is unpredictable and it has dived more than 100' at times -- that's towards the ground and trees mind you. Well it was well behaved today and lots of fun to fly.

As I mentioned we did cut the "Safe ties" here in Hopetown Saturday and went to Man O War and anchored off. We shopped in town a bit but it was very subdued -- there was a memorial service for a longtime residence and every thing was closed till noon. We went back but it was low tide and tough to get in there even in the dinghy!

Karen found some scarce Androsian fabric and I found some fresh meat and apples at the only grocery store there now. It was worth the trip and we had a nice evening on the hook there.

Sunday was going to problematic to anchor off Tahiti Beach. Wind was supposed to come up from the west over night which would have made it uncomfortable on the anchor so we took the big boat back to Hopetown and then after lunch took the dinghy on a LONG ride to Tahiti Beach. Surprisingly there were several boats there. We arrived near low tide and the beach looked GREAT. Karen found a little sea glass but I just enjoyed the view and a couple of beers.

Ahhh life is good in the Abacos.

Well a series of weather fronts are coming this week so we will stay put probably until Friday and then venture out again for awhile.

Hmmm where to go?

No comments: