Saturday, January 31, 2015

Garbage Detail

This is scary now. Last night while enjoying the re lighting of the Hopetown Lighthouse (which is currently under a weeks worth of repairs) I felt as if I was home now!! I guess it's because it is familiar and we feel safe on the moorings here.

Chris Parker forecast is forecasting higher winds than we are experiencing here. The timing is right but the wind speeds are really higher than we experience. Kind of disappointing when you use these forecasts to plan our outings. We stay put when we could have rather gone somewhere.

That's important right now because the weather cycle we are in is keeping us close to safe harbor when we would rather be out and about. However I know if I second guess him -- we will get hammered someplace.

Today was an easy day here in the harbour. Karen went glass hunting on the beach at low tide and found a couple of pieces. I walked about town and tried to buy some coconut bread from Vernon's store but it wasn't ready yet. Said around 2 - 2:30pm. I was back at 3pm and it still wasn't ready. I killed another 20 minutes looking about town and over the beach then the bread was ready. Ummm it is good -- for everything. Especially French toast but I use it for toast and hamburgers and ham sandwiches, etc. It's not cheap at $4.84 a loaf.

While hanging out with Vernon I asked how they disposed of the garbage here in Hopetown. They used to burn it but all the non-Bahamians that now live and rent here were against that and made them stop. Now they put it all on a barge and send it to MArsh Harbour for disposal there. It's very expensive now. Vernon says its $2000 a year to throw all the cardboard boxes away that his groceries come in.

With the cold fronts forecast to come in last night and Monday and Wednesday there are a surprising number of moorings available here right now. Gosh in times past this place was always full and difficult to find an available mooring.

Things must be quiet here this year. I heard Orchid Bay marina on Great Guana Cay announce a docking special for February of only .50 cents a foot!! That is low!! Then again the last time we were there we only saw 3 boats in the Marina.

Tomorrow is Super Bowl Sunday. We will go somewhere but not sure where yet. I don't care for the game as much as the party and all the cool commercials.

No comments: