Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Just a working on the dock

It’s a nice day at the dock but way too much boat traffic past the Mega-dock. It is quite rough on the outside because of it. Must be fishing season because these darn boats start moving just after 4am!~!

Karen went to town with Ian and Sharon to wander around and I remained to clean the boat. I had a pretty good morning. I got the top sides washed, the Lighthouse Windlass polished, and the bow pulpit polished. I was able to clean and restore the Lucite windows on the sides and aft cabin of the boat. I was also able to clean and polish the full enclosure.

A little excitement this afternoon – a boat MAYDAY!! Boy hearing a MAYDAY really grabs your attention.

A large 56 foot trawler had just left the marina here and was just south of the Coast Guard station when they called a MAYDAY – Engine room fire!! He investigated further and reported the engine room full of smoke but no flames, said he would try to get back to marina then immediately reported loss of second engine!! He was towed in.

I wonder if anyone worked on the boat while it was here?? Could be very bad for someone other than the owner – eh?? Oops the Canadian influence showing.

I visited with a few other boaters in the afternoon and discussed going offshore from here but Karen still does not want to be on the ocean overnight. Thus back on the ICW./

The wild fire near Barefoot Landing has closed the ICW from mile marker 347 – 366 but is expected to reopen soon. We should be there in about 3 days. I guess worse case will have us going offshore at Georgetown if necessary.

We went out to dinner to Hymans Seafood in downtown Charleston. It was good but a long wait since we were a group of 10. We took the marina van there but had to call a taxi to return. The fare was only $4.75 for us.

It was a late night but because of the tidal current we don’t expect top leave the marina until around 10am. I hope I can sleep in in the morning.

No comments: