Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Mark of the Beast 6 6 6

Sailors as a lot are a superstitious bunch. I try not to but I'm doubly affected because of my Italian heritage. Now Italians are superstitious - big TIME.

This morning started innocently enough until I took my readings from my weather station for reporting on the Basra Weather net at 7am. The outside temperature was 66.6 degrees Fahrenheit or as the superstitious think "mark of the BEAST". I didn't think much of it at the time but as this day unfolded - maybe there was something there..

We left White Sound this morning at 7:15am to get away on the high tide and that went well. I tried dragging the dinghy using 2 lines and that worked pretty good but I wouldn't do it for more than a couple of miles. Manjack is only 4 miles away so why not.

We arrived in the anchorage around 8:30am and it was looking good. Nice spot near Born to Cruise. We dropped the hook - the CQR - backed down and damn - just drug back and would not set. Ohh well - pulled the hook up and dropped the Delta. It was biting easily and we backed it down but the line never went taunt. Karen said "Ahhh we have a problem here". She had reversed but no load on the prop. A quick look at the prop shaft showed the engine turning but the prop shaft Not Damn - it had backed out of the coupler and thus no longer connected to the engine but fortunately it stopped just shy of the coupler and had not pulled out all the way - whew!!!

We had a good breeze which seemed to set the anchor. I jumped in the dinghy and pulled with it against the boat and all seemed right. Ohhh well it happens.

Gosh it was only 9am so we just settled in. I opened the engine compartment to cool it and we visited with Born to Cruise. They said they found the mother lode of sea glass yesterday. Karen was excited so she left later with Jill and Wayne to hunt sea glass. I stayed to work on the engine.

The real gothcha once I removed the coupling hub was the shaft key was missing. Ohhh that is bad since there is no way to lock the coupler to the shaft. Aaaack!!.. I looked around thinking it was thrown when the shaft pulled out. I finally reached under the engine and just felt with my fingers since I couldn't see anything and - oh boy - I found it!!

I then tried to put the hub back on the shaft. It would start about ½ inch then stop. When I had it off before I had to beat it on with a 3lb Ball Peen from the outside - that option was not available today. I tried to work it on but it just would not go.

I had a little light lunch then put the wet suit on and headed for the water. Damn - I could wedge myself between the rudder and the prop but still no movement. Unfortunately no one available to help since they all went sea glass hunting.

Ohh well a couple of beers and my new Barefoot Man CD and the issue was not so bad anymore. Heck - the shaft is started and will turn from the engine so even though it is not locked I still can go forward but no reverse - that will work in an emergency.

Since the prop pulled out while in reverse maybe I can drive it back in by going forward. Hell it's worth a try and I'll try it when the glass hunters return. Gosh hunting must be great because it is 4:30pmn and nobody back yet!!

Ohh the other issue was when I sent the position report this morning and tried to shut the PC down it would not turn off. I had to force it down via the 6 second power switch.

I sure hope bad things are not happening in 3s today. I'm one short right now.

No comments: