Saturday, October 11, 2008

Start of Cruise -- Kick'n and Scream'n

What a way to start a long cruise! We got down here about 8pm last night with a truckload of stuff to unload and load on the boat. We finished 2 loads and then the rain came. What a disappointment -- so much to do but couldn't do it in the rain. Once I realized it was a going to be a l o n g rain I relaxed and spent the time stowing stuff. It rained most of the night. Ohh was it predicted?? Not really.

I was up early this morning and took advantage of the dry conditions to finish unloading the truck. Four trips did it. Then we had to find a place for everything!! Well at least a holding spot. We will finish the stowing later.

Then on to ready the boat for a 10am departure. Ralph indicated he wanted to travel with us as far as Wrightsville Beach then he would continue on to Wilmington. Losing last night doubled the work today. The hardest part was retrieving a 30 amp extension cord from under the dock. Very difficult with the high water.

About 10:30am I was nearly ready. I fired up the navigation software on the PC -- Coastal Explorer Beta Edition -- and it promptly crashed. I restarted it 5 times then rebooted the PC. Still no good. I started my MapTech backup software -- it couldn't find the GPS -- Oh Great. Well I'm going in areas I know well so I'll revisit this later. Well we made nearly 11am today for departure. We left Andy at the dock. He came down last night with us and worked hard to unload the truck and load the boat. He was going to drive my truck home. This is it -- formally cutting ties with the home front until we return in about 7 - 8 months. Ralph was holding in the creek, followed by Jim and Barb, and Karen and I brought up the rear.

Finally on the river. Uh Oh though, it was blowing 15 to 20 NE and a bit rough. On the nose for Adams Creek. Some of the wave trains just stopped us dead momentarily. Probably only averaged about 3.5 knots. I checked that damn stuffing box and it was running very warm-- 130 degrees at the hottest point. Ohh no water was dripping though so I adjusted and it came down too near 110 degrees. We made Adams Creek and the land shielded us from the NE blow but now it was raining hard. I pulled up a radar display and saw that it was all coming in from the ocean side. It was going to rain awhile. Then I heard they had heavy rain and fog in Beaufort so I told the gang I was going into Cedar Creek to anchor for the rest of the day. I didn't want to do Bogue Sound in the fog. They agreed and we all headed into anchor. WOW -- the anchorage already had 9 boats in there -- it was going to get crowded. Probably a good call because we were headed to Spooners creek for the night and I suspect the Snowbirds there had never left today and it would be crowded there.

Well a short day. Left at 11 am and hook down about 2pm paltry 8 miles if I stretch it. Tomorrow will be a better day. We can make a long run to Swansboro for the night and then another long run into Wrightsville on Monday.

Gosh 5pm and still raining. I'd like to visit with the Buds but they all have their radios off -- what weenies!! Maybe they will come over for visit if it stops raining soon.

No comments: